Greetings!

This page is intended to provide the reader an insight into the functionality of a perpetually whimsical mind.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Mukhtar Mai: A Symbol of Bravery - Perspective


Almost two years ago, a woman was forcibly gang raped by the orders of "tribal elders" in a village in Pakistan. What was the woman's crime you may ask? She belonged to a rival tribe, and her brother was involved in a relationship with a girl from the other tribe. When the elders from the girl's tribe discovered this, serious repercussions were warranted according to this feudal tradition. In order to appease the tension that was to erupt, this woman, the subject of his horrendous rape ran to the elders to ask for forgiveness. The elders decided, according to the judicial law developed by these tribes in that region (locally known as jirga) that five men were to openly ravage this poor woman.

Today, this dauntless woman has stirred the nation by standing up for her right by filing a case with a court in Pakistan. This woman needs the support of all the people around the world because it is so sad that such heinous acts of barbarism continue to haunt the societies of today. For more information on Mukhtar Mai's personal story, please follow the link below:

www.Mukhtarmai.com

5 comments:

Raheel Lakhani said...

Yes, I agree to your point. But what I feel ironic about this whole situation is that the women who have helped her to do all this are doing this just for fame and wah-wah. Again its my opinion, you don't have to agree with it necessarily.

Asad Raza said...

Well, I don't have any proof against it or in it's favor, so I can't say, but if there are women who are doing so, it is absolutely pathetic. The biggest reason why it is so scornful is because women who really are victims may not get the sympathy they deserve because of these charlatans.

Polka Dotted Pickles said...

Wow! That's crazy.

Siddharth said...

shocking that such things happen even 2day.it is similar 2 d imrana case here in india.have u heard of it?imrana was raped by her father in law and she was persecuted for a crime perpetrated on her.nice 2 read what a paki brother has 2 say!

do u follow cricket?right now here ganguly vs chapell is grabbing all the headlines.

Asad Raza said...

Welcome Siddharth! Yes, you're absolutely correct. Isn't it dreadful that even today, such horrendous crimes are commited against women? I hadn't heard of Imrana before, but I have now, and I'm going to read about it further, thanks for sharing it with me :).

Yes, I do follow cricket. In fact, I have a cricket blog of my own. I've removed the link to it here, but you can see it under my profile. Yes, I've been reading, off and on about the issues surrounding BCCI in the Indian media these days. Isn't it going too far? I think the media is taking it too far. The entire Cricketing Committe is being made a mockery of and it's tainting their reputation. I think the members of the committee should step in and settle it before it goes too far. The Indian team is already in decline, and this isn't helping. I think it is time to revamp the team before they face the same fate in the next world cup as the Pakistani team did in 2003.