Greetings!

This page is intended to provide the reader an insight into the functionality of a perpetually whimsical mind.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Ashurah, the 10th of Muharram

Ashurah is the 10th of the month of Muharram on the Islamic calendar, an important day in the lives of Muslims. For the Shiites, it is a day to mourn the death of the Prophet Muhammad's newphew, Hussein. For Sunnis, it is a day observed for fasting because on this day, when the Prophet Muhammad migrated to Madinah, the Jews in the area were fasting in remembrance of Moses. Therefore, Muslims at the time had adopted this as a day for fasting too, in remembrance of the great Prophet, Moses.

4 comments:

Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

I was looking for a succinct explanation for Ashurah. This is perfect. Thanks!

By the way, I saw your comment on Murgha of the Day and responded.

You are doing a great job with this site. I'm impressed!

Asad Raza said...

I'm glad it was of help to you, DCS. Thanks for visiting my blog, and for the compliment. I hope you visit often.

Abrar said...

Hey Razor....

Quite an amazing and interesting discussion going on between you and DCS on my Blog... She has replied to you comment on my blog!! Reply her over there!!

Regards

Raheel Lakhani said...

Ohh thatz a good description.. something new in my stock of knowledge. Btw let me clearify one thing, not all shia groups mourn on ashura.